Monday, August 23, 2010

oil down...beach....Quarantine Point

Well...we had our first encounter with oil down on Thursday night. Can't say for sure how I felt about it...I think it must be one of those things that kinda grows on you...I hope :) It really wasn't bad...it just had alot of new foods in it that I never ate before. But I was brave and ate everything that landed on my plate...and if you know me...that is a stretch as I am rather picky about what foods I allow entrance into my mouth. Thaddeus was our cook. He wanted to have make a pot of oil down for Erlis & Dorothy before they left & we had the privilege to be there as well...here are the stages of oil down....
<> 
what your seein' there is some chicken...salt fish...pig tails.... :)
...with some seasonings...

<> 
...add some figs....breadfruit (similar to potatoe)...and callaloo root


That is our cook Thaddeus.....fanning the flames to get a good fire going

cute kiddos that we are going to miss



Oh...the lovely Carribean beach... a place to rewind...relax....rejuvinate....and SNORKEL!!!!!!!! I wish I would have an underwater camera to show you all the awesome fish we see. There is another world underneath that water...it is just incredibley beautiful





The other night we went to Quarantine Point for the evening with Erlis and Dorothy & this rainbow greeted us when we got there. God's Promise to Us!!!!!!!!




After we bribed the kids with chewing gum they were willing to smile for the picture....
We are getting settled in here...after two weeks it is starting to feel more and more like home. We look forward to the time when we can kinda figure out a schedule that works for us, but God has been good & we are excited for the work here in Laborie. It feels like such a huge responsibility to show the love of Jesus to all these people and to be an encouragement & example to the new believers here. A friend sent me an email with this quote and I though I would share it here

The Lord doesn't ask about your ability, only your availability, and, if you prove your dependability,the Lord will increase your capability
for some dumb reason it wants to put this picture last and I am tired of arguing, but this is the finished product...okra....callaloo...field corn...and it is all cooked in coconut water...anyone say YUM??

2 comments:

  1. I remember having oil down on my senior trip. . . definitely not a favorite, but it was edible! I love reading about your new adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh jess, i think i could eat oil down better, if i didn't know what all went in it. i didn't bother to watch when on senior trip. i remember eating it, and i am very sneaky too!
    love you.
    love the blog.

    ReplyDelete